In the past few weeks, I have received a lot of emails from readers. One of the questions that were frequently asked was, “How is it possible for you to have an overnight success while the majority of the marketers failed?”
When I heard the question, I smiled. – I know that I looked young. A lot of people told me so. In reality, I have been in business for 19 years. Of course, when people asked me how old I am, I will always say that I am forever 21. 😊
Now, before I shared with you three truth about overnight success, let me ask you one simple question, okay?
What is an overnight success? Let’s remove the word, “overnight.” – What is the word “Success” means to you? Does it say you will have more money, a better relationship, better health, or better friendship? Or is it something else?
You see, when it comes to the word “success,” you need to dig deeper on the real meaning of it. It is because everybody has a different definition of the word “Success.” For the majority of people, the word “success” means that this person has to be on TV or this person is networking with celebrities. – It could also be that this person makes a lot of money.
In the past, I would agree with this view that IF someone is on TV, this person must be successful. However, after the brain tumor surgery, I realized that when someone has an overnight success, it means that this person has accumulated many small victories in their life.
The next question is, “How do you accumulate small successes in life?”
Well, here are THREE simple truths about overnight success:
TRUTH #1: If you make everyday successful, you are an overnight success.
When I first heard this from my earliest mentor, I was shaking my head. I told him that I didn’t feel successful. However, when he talked about his story, I realized that he was right. Within 24 hours, I cleaned up my bathroom. I organized my workstation. I cleaned up my car. I put my socks in the right place. – I felt a sense of satisfaction.
At that moment, something in me told me that, “That’s an overnight success.” The word “Success” to me was the feeling that I got after I completed my tasks. So, for me, it wasn’t about being on TV or meeting the celebrities. Instead, it was the state of mind.
It is also the reason why I become addicted to finding things to do instead of waiting on the sideline with a hope that someone will rescue me or look up to me. It is also the reason WHY I do my best on having an overnight success every single day and the rest of my life.
TRUTH #2: An overnight success is an accumulation of a lot of small achievements.
There is a saying that everything that you do is an accumulation of little successes. It is a marathon, not a sprint. It also means that the faster you are on accumulating small achievements in your life, the faster you are on getting anything you want in your life.
Let’s say I want to write a book about The Limitless Life. Before I write the book, I need to brainstorm on each component I need to include. Here are some tasks I need to complete to make the book launch successful:
• Brainstorm the result I want the audience to have.
• Brainstorm on how many chapters I need to have in the book.
• Brainstorm the topic I am going to discuss in each chapter.
• Then, write chapter 1 to chapter 9.
• Send the book to the editor for proof-reading.
• Create documentation of asking friends for testimonials.
• Create 75 potential testimonials friends can choose from in case they need ideas how to write testimonials.
• Send FB messages or emails to 35 friends.
• Follow-up with friends on the testimonials.
• Add testimonials to the book.
• Ask the designer to create ten different variations for the cover.
• Do final editing of the book.
• Ask the designer to format the book to Kindle and book format.
• Create a listing on Kindle and Amazon.
• Print out the first 100 books.
• Send out 100 books to friends who gave me the testimonials.
• Brainstorm launch dates and launch sequences.
• Write a sales letter along with bonuses to sell the book.
• Write 100 promotion letters to sell the book on Amazon.
• Write Joint Venture Page to promote the book.
• Choose the promotional dates and create JV video.
• Send out emails, text messages, personal phone calls, FB invitation to all marketing friends. (Follow-up heavily.)
• Launch and promote the book heavily for two weeks.
• Send JV updates daily with five different reasons WHY they need to promote.
• Do FB Live on a daily basis for 14 days.
• Utilize re-targeting ads on all social networking sites.
• Send emails daily for 14 days with five different reasons.
• Follow-up with partners who haven’t promoted the product via text messages, personal phone calls, FB and any platforms that they use.
If you take a look at each to-do-list I need to do to launch a successful campaign, you will realize that it is an accumulation of little successes to achieve a massive result. The question is, “What if I only do one task out of 100+ different tasks?” — Well, here was the conversation I had with one of my former employees:
“I did what you asked me to do,” – Mr. Apple told me.
“Why did you disappear on me for a couple of days? We are in the middle of the launch?” – I asked Mr. Apple as I got furious.
“I had to take care of something personal,” – Mr. Apple replied innocently.
“Dude, if I didn’t do the tasks you forget to do, it was impossible for me to reach an extra $50,000 more in sales,” – I mentioned to Mr. Apple.
“Don’t be so dramatic,” – Mr. Apple replied as he got furious.
“One partner asked me to give him a new link. He told me that you didn’t reply to him. And, he gave us an extra $20,000 in sales. Three potential clients asked questions on the emails. Since you weren’t available, I responded to the emails. It is how I was able to receive another $3,000 in sales,” – I replied to Mr. Apple.
The question is, “What is my point of sharing with you the conversation I had with Mr. Apple?”
It is simple, really. A lot of times, when people look at someone’s success, they are referring to a specific technique a person uses or an underground secret successful people use. In reality, it is all about an accumulation of a lot of small achievements. Here are some questions you need to ask yourself:
A) Did you answer your email? Or Did you let your emails sit there overnight?
B) Did you complete the tasks that are due today? Or did you let the tasks stay unfinished until the next day?
My point is, “Success loves speed.” It also means that when you are “addicted” with completing one small task as fast as you can, the “feeling” of the little accomplishments will motivate you to do more, to improve more, and to accomplish more in life.
TRUTH #3: An overnight success is your willingness to challenge yourself to do more and to achieve more.
Bruce Lee said, “I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”
Why did Bruce Lee say that? – There is a difference between fighting on many different battlegrounds and mastering your craft. And, there is also a massive difference from beating the competitions vs. conquering.
When I was young, I didn’t understand what Bruce Lee talked about. However, after two decades later, I realized that every ultra successful people focus on conquering instead of competing. When you dominate a marketplace, other people have no choice but to move away from that niche. Here are the two examples you can compare side-by-side:
1) If you decided to go against Bruce Lee on playing basketball, you would probably beat him in a heartbeat.
2) And, if you chose to fight with Bruce Lee who mastered the art of speed, endurance, and strength, he would probably have beaten you with just one kick.
I am not asking you to become Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan. Instead, you can start by conquering yourself. My mother-in-law has mastered the art of cleaning her house for more than 40+ years. When I visit her home, it was warm, vibrant, and welcoming.
However, when she visited my house, she would criticize my place as “acceptable.” – I didn’t argue with her or try to find excuses. Instead, I asked my mother-in-law on how I can make my home better. Why is that? My mother-in-law has mastered her craft.
The question is, “What is your real definition of overnight success?” Please share with other limitless family members your thought on the comment below.
Regardless, I strongly recommend you to download my new e-book, “The Limitless Mindset” for free at http://thelimitlessmindset.com. It will show you how to unleash your power to fulfill your duty & mission in life.
Limitless For Life,
Author, Speaker, Limitless Potential Expert, Entrepreneur